Other years: 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 A History of Leyton Orient FC 1965-1974 2017 2018 2019 2020 Next page. Leyton Orient started 2010 in much the same position as they did a year ago, 21st in the table. No games were played until the 19th due to bad weather. Andros Townsend went back to Spurs and was promptly loaned to MK Dons. Williams in the meantime loaned Matthew Briggs from Fulham and Nicky Adams from Leicester. Jonathan Téhoué (born 3 May 1984 in Paris), a free agent training with the O's during December was also signed. Téhoué previously played for FC Brussels in the Belgian Jupiler League. He transferred to Kasimpasa S.K. in August 2007 and moved to Konyaspor in February 2008. Career:2003-2004 SC Bastia App 07 Goals(0), 2005 APOEL F.C. 00 (0), 2006 R.E. Virton 13 (4), 2006-2007 FC Brussels 19 (5) 2007-2008 Kasimpasa S.K. 15 (6), 2008-2009 Konyaspor 38 (9) Yeovil Town lost 2-0 thanks to goals from Mkandawire (14) and McGleish (79). Adams and Briggs started, the team:- Jones, Purches, Mkandawire, Demetriou, Briggs, Chambers, Thornton (Smith 70), Daniels, Adams, McGleish, Jarvis (Tehoue 75). Next up was an away match to Charlton. The new BBC show Late Kick Off featured Scott McGleish who predicted he would score in a 0-1 win for the O's at the Valley. Which is exactly what happened. Chorley, suspended for the Yeovil came in for Briggs in an otherwise unchanged side. The last game in January was away to Carlisle and the old problem of the team only playing for 45 minutes reappeared as we went 2-0 down. We scored twice in the second half to get a draw. One goal was given to Jarvis the other to an own goal but for my money he scored both. Scowcroft played instead of McGleish. McGleish was back in the team for the rearranged match agaist Bristol Rovers. We won 5-0 thanks to goals from Purches (26), Jarvis (51), Demetriou (71), Tehoue (89), Andersen (og 62). If it was an own goal then so was the one Purches scored as a McGleish penalty hit the upright and bounced off the back of Andersen (the goalie) into the net. We were up to 11th in the table. JJ Meligan and the O's parted company by mutual consent. Not sure this made sense. Loan players would return to their clubs and we may not have a replacement? Brighton were in our 21st position in the table when they visited Leyton. This was a complete farce from the tenth minute when a back-pass to Jones was miskicked straight to Murray to slot home into an empty net. Chorley then barged Liam Dickinson into the ground but referee Cook decided no infringement had occurred! Brighon manager Poyet was sent to the stands for protesting too much. He had a case. Anything Jones could do so could his opposite number Kuipers. He palmed away a back-pass to give away a free kick from which McGleish slotted home a rebound. Leeds were second in the table but playing badly and they went behind thanks to a Mkandawire header in the 83rd minute. It took five minutes of added time before Leeds drew level thanks to a Daniels own goal. Adams and Briggs ended their loan period and departed. Smith, a midfielder was bought in for Adams a winger and we lost 2-1 away at Tranmere. The two goals came in for a poor first half display. Tehoue coming on for McGleish scored in the 86th minute. Patulea was on the bench, why not substitute one winger for another? Ling tried it putting Gray on the wing and Petchey did the same with Fairbrother. No doubt there were others. The only time I recall swapping players around working was when Dick Graham put Mickey Jones in the forward line and he scored a hat trick. If you was building a house and the plumber went sick would you employ a carpenter to fix your pipes? Same with football isn't it? Down to 14th in the table our next match was away to 16th placed Gillingham just two points off a relegation place. There were seven other teams between us and a relegation place. Williams went to Blackburn and loaned their winger Ireland Under-19 (he is 18) international Aaron Doran an until 27th March. He has played only three league games for Rovers though he was on loan to MK Dons. Team:- Jones, Purches, Chorley, Mkandawire, Demetriou, Chambers, Daniels, Smith, Doran, Jarvis, Tehoue. One down after eight minutes O's failed to have a single shot on target in the next 37 minutes. Mkandawire produced the equaliser in a match where the O's had only seven shots on goal. Swindon Town fifth in the table were next to visit Leyton (Matchroom) Stadium. After a pitch inspection at 10am the match went ahead. In came Cave-Brown for Daniels and McGleish for Tehoue. It ended 0-0 which was surprising as Swindon had two strikers with 33 goals between them. Chambers was replace by Thornton at half time and McGleish, marshalled by the excellent Morrison was replaced after 67 minutes by Tehoue. Lots of clubs were in financial diffulty. Portsmouth went into administration and even after selling players for £79m they were still £70m in debt. Crystal Palace also had points deducted which left them hovering over a relegation position. Southend were also on the brink and Bournemouth had to find £300,000 by the end of March. Elsewhere Chester were thrown out of the Conference after pleading guilty to five cases of misconduct. Not least was failing to fore fill a match when the players refused to board the coach because they had not been paid. Histon and Salisbury were also in trouble. Want to know how clubs including the O's are doing? We were away to MK Dons for the next match. Most of the top ten teams were having an irratic time. The Dons no exception losing to home to Millwall 1-3 and away to Carlisle 5-0. Townsend on on loan to them and Dean Morgan had joined from Luton. Townsend was recalled by Spurs but it made no difference as we lost 1-0 described by Williams as the worst game of the season. Team:- Jones. Purches, Chorley, Mkandawire, Demetriou, Cave-Brown, Thornton (Chambers 80), Smith (yellow card), Doran (Tehoue 63 yellow card), McGleish (Scowcroft 63), Jarvis. Postponed from January 9th We played at Oldham the following Tuesday. Oldham were one place and one point outside a relegation place on 33 points with 10 teams sharing 11 points above them. Changes were made:-Jones. Purches, Ashworth, Mkandawire, Demetriou, Daniels, Chambers, Smith, Doran, Tehoue, Scowcroft. Chorley was injured and Daniels fit again. On the bench were Morris, Cave-Brown, Mike, Thornton, Baker, McGleish, Jarvis. After 51 minutes we had three shots at goal and were 2-0 down. It stayed that way, Baker replaced Doran, Jarvis Tehoue and McGleish Demetriou. Three games no goals sums it up. Does Williams know what his best team is? Cardiff were facing a third winding up order owing the tax man £1.7m. They had sold land surrounding the ground and £3m promised to buy players from ticket sales instead went to pay off debts. Stockport were also hopeful of staying out of administration. Walsall had missing players when we played them at home. Goaless at half time, Thornton was having a nightmare. A nod on by Tehoue (the best player on the pitch by a mile) and a shot by Doran was parried by the goalie but only into the path of Thornton who placed it into an empty net. Next Tehoue failed to latch on to a ball from McGleish (I think) but the defence failed to clear and the ball fell to Thornton who enticed the goalie to commit himself and then side stepped a defender and scored his second. Williams in a article in the Leyton Orientear (in a meeting with LOFT) said he didn't know what Demitrou's best position was. If the opinions of the supporters is any guide then 'left behind in the dressing room' would be their guess. Huddersfield were two points off a play-off place after this match. We didn't turn up. Morris, Cave-Brown, Chorley, Mkandawire, Demetriou, Daniels, Chambers, Thornton, McGleish, Doran, Tehoue were the culprits. Williams said "I thought today in the first half we looked a shambles. Going forward I think we got our first shot on target in the 94th minute, and that tells you a lot about the performance. I’d like to thank the fans today. They were magnificent and we let them down a bit.” If he had a game plan then it was not obvious. Nobody knew what Demitriou was supposed to be doing, least of all him. Players in contract in the summer are;Scott McGleish (he had the option of another year), Ashworth, Jones, Chorley, Patulea, Tehoue and Smith. As far as I was concerned the rest could leave! Patulea scored five at Eastbourne in a reserve match and that earned him a place on the subs bench for the next match. Before the transfer deadline we loaned Eric Lichaj a right back from Aston Villa, not that he had played for them. His league appearances were six for Lincoln including one red card. John Spicer a midfielder was got from Doncaster and had played 109 league games for the Rovers, Burnley and Bournemouth. We lost away at Brentford 1-0. Jones replaced Morris and flapped at a ball much as he did against MK Dons which lead to the surrender of all points. Bad news is that we were three points from a relegation place, good news is that there were five teams between it and us. Hartlepool were below us but won at Brisbane Road 1-3. Patulea scored the goal but we were three down by then. That was too much for Hearn who sacked Williams. Nugent took control for the match at Southampton but despite a two minute goal by Spicer we lost 2-1. Only goal difference and Tranmere Rovers seperated us from a relegation place. Nugent's team:- Jones, Chorley, Mkandawire, Demetriou, Lichaj, Chambers, Daniels (Cave-Brown 65), Spicer, Smith, Jarvis (Tehoue 52) (Patulea 61), Scowcroft, substitutes Morris, Ashworth, Cave-Brown, Pires, Baker, Tehoue, Patulea. Thornton was suspended for the match with McGleish and Purches injured. Smith for Thornton and Jarvis for Tehoue were the only changes he made from the previous match. For my money Lichaj was at fault for both goals. That was the only game Nugent got to manage as Hearn employed Russell Slade to see out the season. His managerial career. Notts County (caretaker) 15 September 1994 12 January 1995 23(games)6(Won)12(drawn)5(lost) Sheffield United (caretaker) 2 March 1998 9 March 1998 2 0 1 1 Sheffield United (caretaker) 23 November 1999 2 December 1999 2 0 1 1 Scarborough 15 November 2001 28 May 2004 133 50 42 41 (resigned) Grimsby Town 28 May 2004 31 May 2006 105 41 34 30 (unable to agree terms) Yeovil Town 7 June 2006 16 February 2009 137 49 56 32 (sacked - gross misconduct but more likely that the chairman and board wanted rid of him). Brighton & Hove Albion 6 March 2009 1 November 2009 20 7 9 4 (sacked - poor start to season) A goaless draw at Exter was the first result for Slade. The team: Jones, Purches, Chorley, Mkandawire, Chambers, McGleish, Jarvis (Daniels 67 mins), Spicer (Demetriou 73 mins), Smith Scowcroft (Patulea 81 mins), Lichaj. Subs: Morris, Ashworth, Pires, Baker. Téhoué was out for the season with a hamstring injury. So what was Williams’ downfall? He inherited lots of players that Ling bought in. They didn’t play for Ling nor did they play for Williams. Scowcroft did not appear to be fit and to be honest he is not a prolific goalscorer with 88 goals from 409(83) appearances Patulea may not have been signed if Williams had read the fanzine article on him wihich suggested he was selfish and play broke down with him on the ball. Loan signings with the exception of Adams were not impressive. Doran and Townsend were talented but far too young with no league experience. Kristian O'Leary, Lee Butcher and Matthew Briggs came and went without playing much if at all. Only Adams stood out amongst loanees of mediocrity. What we really needed was a left back but never signed one. Daniels on every website I visited was down as a left sided midfielder. Ben Chorley came with a reputation of a defender that help keep many clean sheets for Tranmere but has failed to do so for the O’s. Norwich City were next to visit Brisbane Road and they were top of the table. We went a goal up in three minutes and it was 2-1 at half time thanks to a brace from Thornton. Elsewhere at half time Tranmere (below us) were losing as were Gillingham (above us) to Wycombe and Brighton respectively. The team: Jones, Chorley, Mkandawire, Lichaj, Thornton, Daniels, Chambers, McGleish, Jarvis Spicer, Smith, Subs: Morris, Ashworth, Demetriou, Pires, Baker, Purches Patulea,.It was still 2-1 after 90 minutes. Tranmere lost and still occupied a relegation place below Gillingham who got a point against Brighton. It was still tight with the club five above us. Bottom of the table Stockport County lost 2-0 to us when we fielded the same team the following Saturday. A tap in by Jarvis following the goalkeepers save from a Thornton gave us the lead. Ten minutes from time Lichaj rifled in a low shot from 20 yards to score his first goal in a senior match. Elsewhere Southend (three from bottom) lost but both Tranmere, home to Exeter and Gillingham, home to second placed Leeds both won. This drew Exeter into the mire just above Tranmere on 46 points, then a point separated Gillingham from us, us from Yeovil on 49 and Oldham 50, Hartlepool 51 and Brighton 52. All the teams at the top were showing signs of nerves with top placed and now promoted Norwich losing to us, Leeds losing at Gillingham, Charlton losing to Norwich, Millwall losing at Huddersfield and Colchester now out of a promotion place losing at Hartlepool. So we were hoping the trend would continue when we next visited the Den. Sloppy defending from Chorley who if he had chosen to leave Alexander’s pass would have gone for a corner lead to the first goal. Chambers then ran into the back of a forward to give away a penalty. Chorley got a goal in the dying minutes after his header took a huge deflection. Wycombe needed to win to have a chance of staying up but they didn’t. Jarvis played the ball forward to McGleish whose reverse pass found the still running Jarvis. The keeper got a hand to it but not enough to stop it flying into the net. Daniels made two tackles before passing the ball across the face of the goal to the unmarked McGleish for the second. Injuries to Mkandawire and Daniels meant for a changed side in the last match of the season at Colchester. Jones, Lichaj, Ashworth, Chorley, Cave-Brown, Chambers, Thornton, Smith, Spicer, McGleish, Jarvis. Subs: Giddens, Demetriou, Pires, Baker, Mike, Scowcroft. Patulea. A three point deduction for Hartlepool meant there were now four teams below the O’s fighting relegation. Ashworth made a wonderful left haded save to deny Colchester a goal. Unfortunatly he was not the goalkeeper and was sent off. We lost in the 91st minute thanks to the penalty. Gillingham lost 3-0 at Wycomber and were rellegated. Slade accepted a two year contract from Hearn and then released seven players:Purches, Cave-Brown, Thornton, Morris, Scowvroft, Pires and Baker. Slade was by far the most experienced manager that Hearn had signed. Demetriou, writing in the local rag, expressed no surprise at the players let go. His thinking was that most of them had been together for three years but in that time the team had not progressed. He might ponder that he was part of that team. What would I read into the leaving players? Move Daniels to midfield and we then need a right and left back. If Mkandawire leaves then we could move Chorley into the middle and draft in Ashworth or Mike. If they are good enough to be on the bench then they are good enough to play. Do we really need two goalkeepers? Use Giddens as back up on the bench and draft in a loanee if Jones gets injured. Slade’s first signing was 17 year-old striker George Porter on a two-year contract from non-league outfit Cray Wanderers. He then followed it up by signing 26 year-old striker Alex Revell on a two year deal from Wycombe. The former Southend striker had turned down an offer of a new contract from the Chairboys. He started his career at Cambrige United before moving onto Kettering on loan then Brighton on a free. Southend paid £150,000 before loaning him to Swindon. Wycombe bought out the remainder of his contract from Southend and he scored six goals from 11(4) games. Career: :League117 (65) 31 FA Cup 8 (2) 3 FL Cup 4 (3) 0 Other 7 (8) 2, Another striker. Danny Crow at Cambridge United was also linked though Luton and Colchester were interested. He eventually joined Luton. Millwall and Swindon were to play each other for promotion. Elsewhere hoards of players were being released up and down the country. Nine at Sheffield United, Seven at Torquay and Hartlepool, 13 at Southampton, Jarvis became the first player to accept an offer of a one year contract. Even in non-League there was financial turmoil. Northwich Victoria had failed to pay and bill and they were out of the Blue Square North league. Also out of that league were Farsley (they folded mid-season) and Chester. Good news for Harrowgate Town as they were not relegated. Orient legend Stan Charlton once managed Weymouth but they were also out having owed £900,000 and were deducted 10 points from the league they were demoted to. More alarming there was a director who was at Cambridge United when they signed Martin Ling, but then he resigned. The director was not there when Ling re-signed. They will play in the Zamaertto League next season and Andy Harris played for them last year. At Grays they had failed to get a further lease (owners want to build flats there) on their ground and had failed to join the Ryman League though they were appealing against this. An Essex league said they had also not applied in time to join their league. Glyn Garner and Wayne Gray were not offered new contracts there. Simon Clark became the new Stamford manager. Steve Castle’s St Albans seem to be feeding us players. Teenage striker Jake Argent, who recently spent time at St Albans, has been offered a six-month deal with Orient. Lee Butcher a 21 year-old goalie was signed on a one year contract following his release from Tottenham. He spent three years there and played eight games for Grays two years ago. He was on loan to the O’s last year but did not start a match. Two of Slade’s former players were signed, a 26-year-old centre half from Aldershot and 28-year-old defender Terrell Forbes on a two year contract. Aaron Brown turned down a contract a Aldershot to opt for a year-long deal with the O’s. Brown played for Tamworth, Reading (as pictured left), Yeovil, Burton Albion, AFC Telford United and Truro City but has only notched up 30 league games and 91 games in total. Forbes was out of contract with Yeovil and started his career at West Ham before moving onto Bournemouth on loan. He played for QPR, Grimsby and Oldham before Yeovil. Paul Terry was offered another contract at Rushden much to the annoyance of his team mates having bedded the fiancee of one them. He turned down their offer. Ian Hendon became the manager of Dover while Lee Shearer moved to Hyth. Michael Simpson was not offered another contract at Burton Albion. Millwall were promoted beating Swindon to do so. However, more pleasing was to be playing Dagenham next year. Their manager played for the O’s in the mid 60’s. June 1st. No other players have taken up the offer of a contract and by my reckoning they have nine days to do so. Tammy was linked with Millwall again today. My tips for relegation (ignoring clubs joining or leaving the division) are Bristol Rovers, MK Dons, Yeovil and Colchester. Promotion (ignoring clubs joining/leaving the division); Southampton, Huddersfield, Brighton and Charlton. Based on how these clubs did in the last dozen games of the season. O’s sign 21-year-old right back Elliot Omozusi on a one year with a year option from Fulham. Slade then went back to Brighton and signed 22-year-old right winger (or midfielder depending on website) Dean Cox. A product of their youth system he has started over 150 games for them since his debut in August 2005 scoring 22 goals. Read what Brighton supporters said. This from one Seagull fan ‘I don't think we have lost a world beater but someone who failed to deliver consistently with what he undoubtedly had’. Demetriou turned down his Orient deal in favour of a move to Cyprus and AEK Larnaca in particular. He didn’t get on with Williams apparently. Better luck with McGleish as he signed but still no action from Chambers and Mike though Daniels contract does not run out till the end of June. They have until Monday 7th June?. June 4th. Slade reported as wanting to sign a midfielder though other clubs were interested. It turned out to be 24- year-old Irishman Stephen Dawson from Bury who signed a two year deal. He played 114 games for Mansfield having signed from Leicester though he never played for the Foxes. Looks like Daniels will stay as left back if he signs. Mkandawire has been linked with Swansea. Iysedon Christie signed a one year deal with Kettering. Brian Saah signed a two-year deal for Martin Ling at Cambridge. June 8th. Purches signed for Bournemouth. Former O’s Scott Barrett and Mark Stimpson took over managerial roles at Barnet. The Football League threw out Hearn’s administration rule change, read on. 9th June. Chambers signs a one-year deal with a one-year option. Mike signs a two year deal. Terry turned down the deal offered by Rushden. Ex O Billy Jones was considering a move back to Exeter. Crewe signed him two years ago for £65,000. Ian Hendon resigned from Dover in favour of being number two at Gillingham, Daniels was still stalling to sign a two year deal. Rumour has it he wanted a one year deal?? Our average home attendance last year was 4937 according this site. Five other teams had lower attendances than ours. Mkandawire duely signed a two year contract at Millwall. Hearn must be a bit aggrieved that he got no fees for either Tammy or Jason. He shouldn’t as he allowed them to be out of contract. Do what most big businesses do and make sure your managing director signs a three year deal every year. That way when they find him out for the cowboy he is, he walks away with a nice fat cheque for the remainder of his contract. Ashworth was linked with a move to Rotherham. He went on a free transfer. You have to wonder how many other players in contract Slade would have let go given the option. Patulea? Smith? So, we have lost five experienced players that were not offered a contract (plus Pires and Baker) and two players (Demetriou and Mkandawire) who have not resigned plus Ashworth and signed six experience players (some more than others) plus Porter and Butcher. As I write this Daniels has another four days to sign a contract. Clubs were still in trouble and Accrington Stanley had a transfer enbargo slapped on them for failing to produce a set of a accounts on time. Preston North End faced further legal action from HM Revenue and Customs (HRMC) on the day a winding-up petition on the club was dismissed. Southend continued to clear out players on high wages, Barrett and McCormack were let go and Simon Francis and Steve Mildenhall were also looking for moves. Their physio was also not offered a contract. Justin Miller signed for Rushden. Ex O’s keeper Nelson signed a two year contract with Notts County. The transfer market seemed to be at a standstill but most players contracts may have ended on July 1st? Matt Lockwood was out of contract and dismissed a return to Colchester now that Boothroyd had moved on. Andy Harris decided to retire from football. Slade signed 30 year-old midfielder Matthew Spring from Charlton on a two-year contract. He has previously played for Sheffield United, Luton, Watford and Leeds amassing over 450 starts in all competitons and commanding fees totalling £350,000. Slade also appointed a new fitness coach Kirk Bowyer who previously worked as lead strength and conditioning coach at the Lawn Tennis Association. Still no news about Daniels and his contract should be up today (30June). Ex Orient goalie Pat Welton passed away on June 28, aged 82. Daniels signed a two-year deal for the O’s. Slade said he was still looking for two players though they might come via loans. Aiden Palmer signed for Bishops Stortford. Craig Easton had refused a new year-long contract at Swindon. Aberdeen were interested in Morris. Spicer had been released by Doncaster and signed for Notts County ahead, according to rumours, of a return to the O’s. Maybe that is why we signed Spring? Bury’s Tom Newy signed for Rotherham. Wayne Gray was given a trial by former manager Martin Ling at Cambridge. Another Wayne, this time Carlisle, has failed to agree another contract at Torquay. Ex O loanee Kristian O’Leary signed for Neath and has Lee Trundle as a team mate. Trundle was a £1m player three years back. Another loanee James Walker was not offered a contract at Colchester. Darren Purse signed for Sheffield Wednesday after being released by Cardiff. Another ex Wednesday man Dean Smith is head of youth at Walsall. Ex O’s defender Stuart Hicks is Managing Director at Mainline Menswear. Goalie Glyn Garner signed for Newport County. Craig Easton left Swindon to become captain at Southend. Nottingham Forest were interested in Aston Villa left-back Nicky Shorey. Clubs remain in trouble. Portsmouth have suffered a fresh blow after Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs lodged papers in an attempt to prevent the club coming out of administration. Southend only have nine registered players and HMRC still believe the club should be placed into administration due to its 'habitual defaulting'. And by my reckoning Accrington Stanley have only four registered players. Grays were given permission to play in the Ryman League North and groundshare with East Thurrock. Glen Morris signed a one-year contract at Southend. Pires went to Welling and Adam Tann signed for Chelmsford City. Paul Terry was having a trail, possibly for football at Gateshead. Might depend on the players wives? We went out of the Joma cup to Blackpool after letting in a goal in the 90th minute after beating non-league Truro City and Eastleigh. Téhoué played for 20 minutes at Truro and 30 against Blackpool. Two trialists remain Tozer from Newcastle and Gillett from Barnet. Gillet has started 89 games since August 2007 whilst Tozer only started one game for Swindon before being signed by Newcastle for £25,000 in January 2008 but had yet to start a game for them. James Scrowcroft was having a trial with non-league Bury Town. Paul Connor signed for Mansfield and promptly scored two goals. Darlington were keen to sign Paul Terry. Sky Sports thought we would finish 15th and were 80-1 to win the league. Gillet decided to join Terry Butcher at Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Glen Cockerill parted company with Winchester City. Tozer was not offered a contract. Ex loanee James Walker was on trial against Dartford where we drew 2-2 with goals from Porter and Beautyman. Kevin Austin and Paul Terry signed for Darlington. Winding up proceedings were active against Rushden, Sheffield Wednesday, Crawley Town, Dorchester and Ilkeston. Slade wanted cover for Daniels who would be out of action until the Southampton game. He got Sunderland left-back Michael Liddle for six months.He currently has five Under 21 caps for the Republic of Ireland. Dawson was named captain and Argent would be out for months with a knee injury picked up at Cambridge. The death was announced of Bobby Moss from pancreatic cancer. Andy Scott signed Gary Alexander for Brentford. Cave-Brown found employment with Lotwestoft. The first game of the season was lost at Yeovil 2-1.Chorley failed to close down or tackle Dean Bowditch who fired into the net past Jones outstretched right hand after 12 minutes. Four minutes before haft time we were level after Dawson fed Cox whose cross was met at the near post by Revell. In first half injury time Jones fumbled a lob from his left side and Freeman bundled home for the winner. Forbes hit the woodwork and a goal bound shot was scrambled off the line to no avail. Team: Jones, Omozusi, Liddle, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson, Chambers (yellow card) (Smith 72), Spring, McGleish (Tehoue 72), Revell. Subs: Butcher, Brown, Mike, Porter, Smith, Jarvis, Tehoue. Away to Swindon in the Carling Cup was our next match and I wouldn’t have picked the team Slade put out: Jones, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson, Revell (McGleish 76), Jarvis (Tehoue 74), Spring, Cestor, Smith. Subs: Butcher (gk), Brown, Chambers, Porter, Beautyman. Again it seems the team failed to turn up and we were one down after 35 minutes. But good ball from Spring saw Jarvis score on 67 mins with Revell firing home a free kick four minutes later. We had only four shots at goal the whole match according to the BBC website. A few shock exits, by Charlton away at Shrewsbury, Bradford beat Forest in extra time as did Accrington Stanley away at Doncaster and Southend at home to Bristol City, Crewe beat Derby, Oxford thumped Bristol Rovers 6-1 (no Bristols in the the cup then) and QPR went out to Port Vale. Charlton must be one of the favourites for promotion and they beat us 1-3 at home. A bit flattering as they probably only had three shots all match! Team:Jones, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson (c), McGleish, Chambers (Porter 70), Revell (Jarvis 83), Spring, Cestor (Daniels 57). Subs: Butcher (gk), Brown, Porter, Téhoué, Smith. Mike looked a bit out of his depth but colleagues passing the ball to you at every oportunaty, sometimes whilst closely marked would lead to mistakes. The last two of their goals came from Daniels side of the pitch which is worrying. Cox crossed the ball for McGleish to score our equaliser. Next match is away at Southampton. We went a goal down to Lambert in the 12th minute but an equaliser three minutes later from Forbes gave us our first point of the season. Team: Jones, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cestor, Cox (Tehoue 86 mins), Dawson, Spring, Chambers, Daniels (Jarvis 67 mins), Revell. Subs: Butcher, Brown, McGleish, Porter, Smith. Southampton, favourites for promotion were just above us in the league. Chris Turner resigned at Hartlepool. Matt Lockwood signed a contract with Dundee in the Scottish League Division One. Dean Morgan joined Chesterfield. Andros Townsend went to Ipswich on loan and promptly got sent off for serious foul play. Dan Chillingworth was playing for St Neots Town. Next up would be Tuesday night for the visit of WBA in the League Cup. If Orient wanted to stay in the Cup then this would not be the team of my choice! Jones, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Dawson (capt), McGleish, Chambers, Daniels, Téhoué, Mike, Smith. Subs: Butcher (gk), Cox 45 for Omozusi, Revell 70 for Téhoué, Spring 45 for Mike, Jarvis, Porter. In stead of playing to the feet of Téhoué it was played everywhere but. Even so he still looked unfit and out of form. Omozusi went off to be replaced by Daniels with Cox going into his forward playing position. Mike was replaced by Spring with Smith taking Mike’s position. We lost 0-2 with yet another goal coming from Daniels side of the park. The next match was at home to Exeter. Slade fielded Jones, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson (capt), McGleish, Chambers, Revell, Daniels, Spring. Subs: Butcher (gk), Brown, Jarvis, Porter, Téhoué, Mike, Smith and ran out 3-0 winners pushing the Grecians four from bottom just above Dagenham, Brentford and Tranmere. Revell and Chambers both hit posts before Revell headed home Omozusi’s cross in the first half. McGleish shrugged off two challenges to make it 2-0 after the break with Cox scoring ten minutes before time. Daniels went off to be replaced, not with Mike but with Smith. Martin Ling’s Cambridge were two from bottom after five matches and three draws. Most clubs play their reserves for the Johnstones Paint Trophy but we don’t have any so fielded Jones, Smith, Forbes, Brown, Omozusi, Chambers (Chorley 84 mins), Dawson, Spring, Cox (Cestor 57 mins), Tehoue (Revell 34 mins), Jarvis. Subs: Butcher, McGleish away at Brighton. If the Seagulls supporters expected Cox to return to bit them in the bum they were not disappointed when his shot took a huge deflection to put us one up in 21 minutes. A Spring free kcik saw Jarvis head in from close range to make it 2-0. Jones then saved a penalty diving to his left after Spring ran into a Brighton player. Brentford at home in the next round. Dagenham had not won a League One match so far but we let in two bad goals to give them both points. After eight minutes a header went unchallenged then Omozusi did not even jump as another headed goal went in, this time from a corner. Daniels was still injured and Omozusi when to left back with Smith taking his place. Team: Jones, Smith, Chorley, Forbes, Omozusi, Chambers, Spring, Dawson, Cox, McGleish, Revell. Subs: Butcher, Brown, Jarvis (for Chambers 72), Porter, Patulea (for Revell 89), Mike, Beautyman. Next match is at home to Huddersfield eight in the table. Five clubs had four points fifth from bottom (us included). Ex O’s were scoring well in non league as Cambridge scored five with both Wayne Gray and Saah scoring. Constantine was doing the same with York. Nicky Adams went to Brentford for an undisclosed sum. Our bad luck continued at home against Huddersfield. Slade got another left back on loan, Andrew Frampton from Millwall. He also gave a three-month contract to James Walker whilst letting Patulea go on loan to Hayes & Yeading for the same period, Within three minutes we were a goal down from an unstoppable shot from Arfield. Frampton went off at half time with an injury to be replaced by Smith. At 78 minutes a deflection off Chorley made it two nil but a minute later Cox crashed a shot past Smithies who was rooted to the spot. Walker came on eight minutes later but time ran out. Team: Jones, Omozusi, Frampton, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson (capt), McGleish, Chambers, Revell, Spring. Subs: Butcher (gk) Brown, Jarvis for Spring 76, Porter, Cestor, Smith, Walker for McGleish 86. Frampton will be out for three weeks. Patulea scored after 28 minutes for Hayes then got sent off! For the past three seasons we have been letting in early goals and succumbing to late ones, managers and players have been telling us how great they all are. So it continued at Notts County where a 14th minute free kick somehow squeezed itself between Omozusi and the post. If I have to blame someone for the next two it has to be Brown who looked way out of his depth but that is only based on the ten seconds I saw on BBC! In between, Jarvis and Spring got us level. Team: 1. Jamie Jones, 2. Elliot Omozusi, 4. Ben Chorley, 5. Aaron Brown, 7. Dean Cox, 8. Stephen Dawson (capt), 10. Adam Chambers, 11. Alex Revell, 13. Charlie Daniels, 14. Ryan Jarvis, 16. Matthew Spring. Subs: 12. Lee Butcher, 15. George Porter, 19. Mike Cestor, 20. Jimmy Smith, 22. Harry Beautyman, 25. James Walker, 26. Moses Odubajo. Not sure why McGleish was not playing but we don’t do well when he doesn’t. It turns out that he and Forbes were injured. We needed a few points from the next two games, both at home as we were now bottom of the league. For some inexplicable reason we played Brentford on a Friday night. The good news is that we won thanks to a McGleish goal after 25 minutes. Forbes was my man of the match but everyone put in a decent performance. For a team struggling to fill the left back position did it make any sense to loan a midfield player with no league experience? No, I didn’t think so either but that is what Slade did with Spurs Paul- Jose M'Poku. Team:Jones; Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels; Chambers, Dawson, Spring, Cox; McGleish, Revell. Subs: Butcher, Brown, Jarvis, Cestor, Smith, Walker, M’Poku. Brentford’s ex O’s Adams and Alexander were substituted. We need the same again next Tuesday against Walsall. I didn’t see this goalless game but my mate Mick sent me this report: One of the worst games I have seen, Dawson clueless, Spring is a crab and a bad one at that. Cannot see us being in this division next season. I do not think Slade has a clue what he is doing. Walsall were bottom. Team:Jones, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson, Chambers (M'Poku 66), Revell, Daniels, Spring, McGleish (Walker 77), Subs: Butcher, Brown, Jarvis, Mike, Smith, Walker, M'Poku. After ten games there should be no excuses, so they said on BBC’s Football League Show. Slade was pleased with the 1-1 draw at Oldham but it took McGleish to equalise after an away day in the defence put the Latics a goal up five minutes before the break. Team:Jones (Butcher 44), Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson, Chambers (Smith 86), Revell, Daniels, Spring, Jarvis (McGleish 60). Subs: Butcher, Brown, McGleish, Mike, Smith, Walker, M'Poku. Butcher did well on his debut making three good saves. Only Brentford and Walsall were between us and the bottom spot. Looks like it will be a teabag season dropping in and out of the bottom four. Sheffield Wednesday were tenth in the table and we were their next opponents in South Yorkshire. Elsewhere ex O’s were scoring at Dundee (Matthew Lockwood penalty), Brentford through Gary Alexander, Gary Hooper at Celtic and Paul Connor at Mansfield. Josh Low and JJ Melligan were helping Cheltenham win 0-2 at Aldershot. We went out of the JP Trophy 4-5 on penalties, Spring being the offender. Team:Butcher, Omozusi, Chorley, Brown, Forbes, Dawson, Spring, Smith, M’Poku, Jarvis, Walker. Subs: Lovelock (GK), Cox, Chambers, Daniels, Tehoue. Any change of beating Sheffield Wednesday on the own ground? Fielding Butcher, Omonzusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels, Chambers, Dawson, Spring, Cox, Revell, McGleish, Subs: Lovelock, Brown, Mike, Smith, Jarvis, Téhoué (Cox 88), and Walker (Revell 71) we were unlucky to lose 1-0. Good to see Slade keeping faith with Butcher and for putting the youth team goalie on the bench. Surely we must win the next game at home to Hartlepool? We fielded the same team but the injured Dawson was replaced by Smith. M'Poku replaced Smith on the bench. To be honest the midfield did not have a clue and neither did the full backs. Daniels in particular seemed to be rooted to the spot once he had passed the ball but maybe he was told to do that given the number of times we get caught on the break. It was not until the 56th minute when M'Poku and Téhoué replaced Cox and Revell that things started to improved. Tehoue caused havoc with his strength and M'Poku ran at the Pools defence scaring the living daylights. A corner was forced and taken by Daniels. It bounced off Chambers to the foot of Tehoue and was promptly lashed high into the net. We were away to Swindon next and they had just been hammered 5-4 by Peterborough. I accused Geraint Williams of not knowing what his best team, was I about to do the same to Slade? With the impact M'Poku and Téhoué made I thought they should start the next game but the only change made to the startling line up against the Pools was M'Poku for Revell. M'Poku only lasted 17 minutes before a hamstring injury bought back Revell into play. We only had to mark Austin but he scored as we twice went into the lead through Spring and Revell. Not much we could have done about the Rose equaliser six minutes from time but I thought Butcher should either have stayed on his line or got to Austin’s header but he did neither. Walker replaced McGleish after 94 minutes. Swindon were down to ten men after 53. Beautyman went on loan to St Albans but could not stop them going out of the FA Cup to Luton. We drew Dagenham away in the draw for the next round. Concerned about injuries to M'Poku (hamstring), Téhoué (again, this time a virus) and McGleish (ribs) and that Spring and Omozusi were only one yellow card away from suspension Slade got Brighton’s Whing on loan until 3rd January and extended M'Poku’s loan until the 8th January. Slade did not opt to resign Frampton from Millwall but maybe Swindon beat him to it as he signed for them. Porter went to Lewes on loan for a month. For the visit of Rochdale Slade replaced Chambers with Dawson and Jarvis for the injured McGleish. With Chambers on the bench were Jones, Whing, Brown, Walker, Mike and Téhoué. To be honest the first half was hopeless and we went a goal down just before half time when a diagonal cross evaded Omozusi and Dale’s O’Graday beat Butcher low down at the near post. No changes at half time and when Adams had a skirmish on the edge of the box the ref gave a penalty which Chorley put away. Walker replaced the out of touch Jarvis 11 minutes later. Spring picked up the ball just inside the oppositions half, played the ball to Dawson whose one touch found Cox to slam the ball home. Chambers replaced Cox after 79 minutes and Téhoué Revell five minutes after full time. That took us up to 19th in the table and three points at Colchester on Tuesday night would take us up another four. Revell put us two up after 18 minutes but the usual story of giving away penalties (Whing), and letting in goals in the last ten minutes meant we left pointless. Those above and below us that played all lost so we were still 19th. Team:12. Lee Butcher, 2. Elliot Omozusi, 3. Andrew Whing, 4. Ben Chorley (capt), 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. Dean Cox, 10. Adam Chambers, 11. Alex Revell, 13. Charlie Daniels, 16. Matthew Spring, 20. Jimmy Smith. Subs: 1. Jamie Jones (GK), 5. Aaron Brown, 8. Stephen Dawson, 14. Ryan Jarvis, 18. Jonathan Téhoué, 19. Mike Cestor, 25. James Walker. A day off of league football as we took on Dagenham & Redbridge away in the FA Cup. If you thought anything was going to change you were mistaken as Revell put us 0-1 up just before half time but we managed to let in another free kick two minutes later and that is the way it stayed. Droylsden away if we get through. Team:Butcher, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox, Dawson, Revell, Daniels, Spring, Tehoue, Smith. Subs: Lovelock, Brown, McGleish, Jarvis, Cestor, Millwood, Walker. Téhoué was replaced by McGleish after 68 minutes. Chambers was out for a month after an operation on his calf. Whing was not allowed to play. Bristol Rovers, my tip for relegation were 12th in the table and were our next away trip and had not won any of their last four games and they have JP Trophy match on Tuesday. Long may their losing run continue and they have two players sent off and lots of injuries! Bristol won the game where players from both sides scored hat tricks. Kuffour was the man we needed to watch. Would we? The only change to the team was M'Poku for Téhoué and he replaced Cestor on the bench. Whing replaced Millwood. Dawson’s dummy of the left hand side of the box allowed him to send over a cross to the far edge of the box and Cox put us one up on 19 minutes. Revell made it 0-2 seven minutes later with a header supplied by Cox. Rovers had Regan sent off 11 minutes from half time for a hospital tackle on Dawson who limped off six minutes later. He was later banned for three games. Whing replaced him. Revell made it three on 50 minutes following good work by Daniels. Walker replaced M'Poku (66). Revell made way for McGliesh nine minutes from time, The four bottom clubs were Walsall, Yeovil, Dagenham and Notts County, in 20th position were five clubs on 19 points. we were one of them and only five points from a play-off place!. FA Cup replay at home to Dagenham was next. Porter’s loan at Lewes, managed by Tim O’Shea, was extended by another month. Jones went into hospital for a hernia operation. McGliesh replaced Dawson on a foggy Tuesday night. On the bench were Lovelock, Millwood, Cestor(or Mike!), Jarvis, Brown, Walker and Téhoué. McGleish put us a goal up after two minutes thanks to Daniels. The in-form Revell made it two after 23 minutes with M'Poku providing the assist. That’s ten for the season. Paul-Jose M'Poku replaced by James Walker (injury) after 56 minutes. Just to make the last 23 minutes interesting Chorley gave away a handball penalty which Green converted. Another goal a minute later meant it was all square. A Cox corner found McGleish who headed high into the net to put us back in the lead. Téhoué replaced Revell for the last ten minutes of normal time. That’s how it ended, Droylsden here we come. See the goals here. Next league match is home to Bournemouth the away to Peterborough in midweek. Ex legend Carl Griffiths was given the managers job at Aveley following time with Barkingside. Scott Canham was his number two. For whatever reason Slade went and got goalie Jason Brown on a months loan from Blackburn Rovers and put him straight into the team against Bournemouth who were third in the table. Joining him in the line-up were Omozusi, Chorley (capt), Forbes, Cox, McGleish, Revell, Daniels, Spring, Smith, M'Poku whilst the bench contained Butcher (gk), Whing, Brown, Jarvis, Téhoué, Cestor(or Mike?), Walker. We went a goal down in two minutes despite McGleish hitting the bar then two down three minutes into the second half. Téhoué replaced McGleish on 61 and then got booked, Brown replaced Daniels on 67 whilst M'Poku made way for Walker after 94. Five minutes from time Téhoué slotted home a pass from Brown (A) and got a second two minutes into injury time following a mix up in the Cherries defence. The ball was supplied by Brown (J). I thought Omozusi was at fault for both goals. Slade slammed the fans that jeered and booed before the fightback as ‘ignorant’. ““Both Charlie Daniels and M’Poku were patched up and the only thing Scotty McGleish ate in the previous 48 hours was a slice of toast, but people won’t understand that, will they?" he said. They will understand if you tell them Russell. Did you tell them? No? Then you left them ignorant. No doubt in my lifetime I have met many clever people but never met any mind readers. Three of the five teams on 19 points picked up more which meant we slipped a place down the table and were now seven points away from a play off place but could make up ground at Peterborough on Tuesday. They had just been thumped 4-1 by Southampton and had let in 15 goals in the last five matches whilst picking up only three points. Chorley picked up his fifth booking of the season and will miss the Peterborough match but so will their Mackail-Smith for the same reason. There was only one man to watch and that was ex O Mclean and he nearly got a hat trick. The first he scored from a penalty when Brown J needlessly fouled following a poor clearance by Forbes. Revell then scored a header following a one two with Cox. Brown J then slipped to let Mclean in again. No marking from Forbes. A series of passes (Daniels, Cox, McGleish) saw Smith equalise. Brown A then gave away the penalty that McLean missed. Team:Brown (gk), Omozusi, Whing (M'Poku 46), Brown, Forbes, Cox, Daniels, Spring (capt), Smith, Revell (Walker 90), Téhoué (McGleish 72). Subs: Butcher (gk), McGleish, Jarvis, Cestor, Millwood, Walker, M'Poku. We dropped to 19th in the table and eight points away from a play-off place! Omozusi would missed the FA Cup game having picked up five bookings but Chorley would be back. Jarvis was loaned to Northampton until January 3rd. Was that a wise move? Porter, Beautyman and Patulea were already on loan and three of the subs against Droylsden only had a handful of league games between them. Benjamin did not even feature on the clubs website. We could field a team of players that have missed games through injury, Jones, Liddle, Frampton, Daniels, Forbes, Dawson, McGleish, M'Poku, Téhoué, Chambers, Argent.. We went a goal down at Droylsden and it took a McGleish header (off the post off the goalie into thenet) to get us a replay. Team: J Brown, Forbes, Chorley, A Brown, Daniels, Cox, Spring, Smith, Mpoku (Dawson 84 mins), Revell (Tehoue 57 mins), McGleish. Subs: Butcher, Cestor, Millwood, Benjamin, Tehoue, Walker. Revell went off injured so it was as well that the home game against Carlisle was called off due to the snow that had been around since Tuesday. The omens for the FA Cup replay on a freezing Tuesday night were not good. The people running the club had decided to drop the admission price as well as opening a cash only turnstile. This resulted in huge queues for people with tickets with the cash turnstiles unused. Cox was down with a virus and was replaced by Dawson whilst Brown made way for Omozusi. The subs were the same as in Manchester. Things looked to be going well when McGleish rattled the bar from 20 yards out having seen the goalie off his line. The ball was safely cleared and that was to be the theme of the match for the next 70 minutes. Droylsden went one up after five minutes when Chorley failed to clear. To be honest Orient looked like eleven blokes that had just met in the park. Longs balls were played skyward to nobody in particular they all looked as if they had been celebrating England’s cricketing win in Adelaide the night before. M'Poku was running the right flank ragged with support from Daniels. Their Roche was booked for a wild challenge on him. After 36 minutes Forbes must have been feeling the cold as he upended Banim only yards into the O’s half and was sent off. He was wearing gloves so can’t have been as cold as the 1345 of us sitting in the West Stand. Stands behind the goals were closed with the fifty or so Droylsden fans occupying the East Stand. At half time Smith was replaced by Téhoué. A goal close in by Brown A was no consolation as the A stood for Alex and he was playing for Droylsden. Their goalie was booked for time wasting. After 76 minutes M'Poku’s running was rewarded with a penalty when he was downed in the box. Omozusi had stopped running back to defend. Chorley put away the penalty. He was having a nightmare match peppered with schoolboy defending errors, mainly against Banim. He was booked for a foul against him two minutes later. Omozusi also got a caution. The Bloods were also down to ten men following a bad tackle on M’Poku. Two minutes from time Téhoué scored to put us level and into extra time but not before Chorley fouled Banim again and was sent off. Down to nine men. Slade decided to substitute Revell with Brown. Three minutes in M’Poku put us into the lead. Roche had a blood rush to the head and fouled M’Poku again and was sent off, Nine men apiece. Their manager was also confined to the stands. The superior fitness of the O’s now began to show as McGleish made it four. Téhoué got on the scoresheet eight minutes in with a thunderous drive, Walker came on for M’Poku. On 106 minutes Téhoué scored the sixth. McGleish made it seven and eight and that is how it finished. Phew. Man of the Match? Jody Banim. He ran rings around anyone and everyone in the the O’s team. See the goals on Youtube. Slade may need to dip into the loan market with Forbes and Chorley suspended for the visit to Tranmere, weather permitting though I suspect he will retain Brown and bring in Whing for the three matches that Forbes is suspended for. Patulea ended his loan with Hayes & Yeading with a goal. Previous page Next page
McGleish scores the second goal against Exeter. The ball takes a deflection off Chorley past Jones  for the second goal against Huddersfield.